Updated Over 40 Anti-aging Skincare Routine
I have changed things up quite a bit with my skincare routine and I couldn’t be happier with the results! So, I am happy to share my updated anti-aging, mature skincare routine with you!
First, you need to know about my skin. I am 46, so that means I came from the generation of no sunscreen as a teen/20 something. I cringe at the memories of me slathering my skin in baby oil, baking in the sun and hopping in tanning beds several times a week – yes, I splurged on the monthly membership plan! Ughhh… if I only knew then what I know now.
My skin is sun-damaged, clearly (read above) as well as oily in the t-zone! My skin used to be oilier, but my new products keep that toned down. So, keep this in mind as you read through my routines and see what products I am using. Most are for all skin types, though.
*this post is not sponsored in any way. These are my true and honest opinions. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for using my links, it allows me to continue to do what I love – share what I love with you.
This is the exact order I apply these products. I apply the serums in order of ph level maximize the benefits.
- Cleanse – I use either the Obagi Nu Derm Gentle Cleanser. It’s important to use a cleanser that will not strip oils from your face if you are going to wear makeup. This cleanser is perfect for all skin types and preps your face nicely whether you are going to wear makeup or not.
- Tone – I always use a toner and my favorite is the Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner. Toners help to close pores and restore the ph balance of your skin. It also helps to reduce impurities from entering your pores. I started using this toner about 6 months ago and I love it. I have seen a great improvement in my skin since I started using this toner. It’s gentle enough to use during the day.
- Prevent – I am completely obsessed with The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% . It helps to reduce the appearance of large pores, reduces congestion and balances the overproduction of oil. Perfect for oily, norma to oily & normal skin types. I can’t even tell you how amazing this product is. I have my daughter and son using this as well.
- Prevent – The Ordinary ”Buffet” + Copper Peptides 1% Targets various visible signs of aging at once, including the look of fine and dynamic lines. The copper tripeptide focuses on skin health long-term. It absorbs right into the skin.
- Treat – The Ordinary Matrixyl 10% + HA Targets visible signs of aging – reduces the look of static and dynamic wrinkles.
- Moisturize – I love an ultra-lightweight moisturizer during the day and Muradskin Perfecting Lotion is perfect! You can’t even feel it, but your skin feels completely moisturized.
- Eye care – I have been using the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex under my eye cream and I love it. It helps to moisturize without feeling cakey, thick or goopy. I use this under my favorite eye cream to date which is the Colorescience Total Eye 3-in-1 Therapy SPF – this is magical! It is an anti-aging eye cream that improves signs of dark circles and wrinkles, plus it brightens, is your concealer, and has SPF! Like I said, magical!! Note: You do not need to use both and sometimes I don’t, but sometimes I do, so I thought I should share that with you.
- Neck Care – Protect & treat – Perricone MD ColdplasmaPlus Neck & Chest SPF 25 My neck has improved so much since I started using this product.
- Suncreen – I always use a facial sunscreen! Always! My favorite sunscreen that I have used for years is the EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46. It lightweight, oil-free and does not clog your pores. My makeup goes on beautifully with this.
- Cleanse – I always double cleanse. The first thing I do is remove my eye makeup with the Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover or I use the Makeup Remover cloths and I love these from Amazon. I prefer to use the makeup remover cloths. Then, I use the Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel or a few times a week I use Kate Somerville ExfoliKate® Intensive Exfoliating Treatment for a deeper clean. It’s like a 2 minute facial! Use 2 to 3 times a week.
- Tone – I switch between 2 toners. If I am going to apply the exfoliating facial The OrdinaryAHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution (step 3) then I will use the Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner because it is milder than The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution which I use on the nights when I don’t apply the exfoliating facial. Toners help to close pores and restore the ph balance of your skin. It also helps to reduce impurities from entering your pores.
- Exfoliating Facial – once or twice a week I use The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. This peel (suitable for all skin types) only takes 10 minutes and provides so many benefits:
- Targets dullness & textural irregularities
- Deeply exfoliates
- Refines/improves skin texture & skin radiance
- Reduces the appearance of blemishes & helps fight visible blemishes
- Reduces the look of fine lines with continued use
- Treat – Lancome Advanced Génifique Anti-Aging Face Serum. This powerful anti-aging serum works to improve skin’s key signs of youth: radiance, elasticity, firmness, skin tone, and smoothness.
- Treat – Obagi Blender & Tretinoin (you need to get Tretinoin via prescription). Wait about 15 minutes before applying to skin.
- Moisturize – I use the same moisturizer every night. The Milk Creme Moisturizer which feels amazing, not too thick or too thin and has many benefits. With its combination of the alpha-hydroxy lactic acid and vitamins A and E, it gently penetrates the skin surface and helps exfoliate and release dead skin cells. This helps promote healthy skin cell turnover and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Eye care – I use the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex every night under Exuviance Age Reverse Eye Contour again, there are so many benefits to both of these and I have seen a noticeable difference in with my fine lines and wrinkle/crepeyness under my eyes.
- Lashes – Now, I have tried several lash serums now and none compare to Babe Lash! Take my word for it! It’s the best! You will need to use if for 30 days before you see results, but then you are golden!
I love my new organizer that I got off of Amazon. It’s an amazing deal plus free one-day shipping! And at the time of this post, you can save an additional 6% off. It has adjustable shelves and is great if you don’t have a lot of space or if you just want to be able to see all of your products. Click here to get this one!
There you have it! That is my updated anti-aging skincare routine!
If are interested in my favorite skincare tools, I will be making a post about those soon. Until then you can see what they are in my Sephora Favorites Blog Post.
I am always trying new products and these are the best that I have found to date!
Hi Holly! I just started following you a few weeks ago and I adore you! I know you love to take care of your skin, so I am hoping to get some pointers. Is this blog post your up-to-date skincare routine?
Thanks so much!
Hi Gigi! Thank you so much! I am actually going to update my skincare routine this month! Be on the lookout for a new blog post this month! 🙂